|Emergency Assistance (EA) - These programs are available to assist those who meet eligibility criteria for immediate unforseen emergency needs. An emergency is an urgent need or situation that has to be taken care of right away. Some examples of an emergency are:|
Applicants may be eligible for emergency assistance even though they might not be eligible for on-going assistance. Applications are taken Monday through Friday with proof of the emergency, at the DFS office in Liberty, NY.
- You are homeless
- You have little or no food
- Your landlord has told you that you must move or has given you eviction papers
- You do not have fuel for heating in the cold weather period
- Your utilities are shut-off or are about to be shut-off, or you have a 72-hour disconnect notice
- You or someone in your family has been beaten, abused or threatened with violence by a husband, wife, partner or other member of the household
The Department must comply with the program regulations when evaluating the emergency that is reported to create the need for a request for financial assistance.